Marketing your products and/or services is essential if you want others to know you exist. There are several forms of marketing and most believe it is wise to be active in all types at the same time.
Major types of marketing:
- External Marketing (obtaining new customers)
- Internal Marketing (keeping your current customers)
Major kinds of marketing strategies:
Word of Mouth Marketing – Possibly the oldest kind. It can be the cheapest and most effective.
Social Media Marketing – Newest kind. It is easily able to be tracked.
Shotgun Marketing – Marketing to a very broad audience. Very difficult to track. Good for trying to get your name or brand out.
Rifle Marketing – Marketing to specific individuals. (ie. direct mail postcard) It can easily be tracked. Most costly per individual, yet can have a higher response. It is believed that shotgun marketing should be conducted prior to rifle marketing, so the name and brand is familiar, and you may receive an even better response.
Here is a list of books, magazines, websites, and YouTube videos you too may find helpful:
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More by Perry Marshall
- Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life by Linda Elder and Richard Paul
- Do It! Marketing: 77 Instant-Action Ideas to Boost Sales, Maximize Profits, and Crush Your Competition by David Newman
- Get on Google Front Page by Jason Matthews
- How to Make Your Own Free Website: And Your Free Blog Too by Jason Matthews
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- Marketing Health Care to Women by Patricia Braus
- No B.S. Guide to Marketing to Leading Edge Boomers & Seniors by Dan S. Kennedy & Chip Kessler
- No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs by Dan S. Kennedy
- The Referral of a Lifetime: The Networking System That Produced Bottom-Line Results Every Day by Timothy L. Templeton
- Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World’s Most Powerful Consumers by Bridget Brennan
- Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking by Andy Sernovitz
- The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Kabani
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- Inc. Magazine
- Working Mother Magazine
- Audiology Trade-specific magazines (you may be able to find trade-specific magazines that will be helpful to your industry too)
- HootSuite.com – Social Media Management Dashboard
- WSJ Weekend – The Wall Street Journal Weekend edition give a great synopsis of the week and delivers only Saturdays
- New York Times
- How to Make a Word Press Website – AMAZING! by Tyler Moore. Learn how to make a $2500 website for free.